Living in community does not free us from conflict. No matter what community we are a part of, there will be some kind of conflict. But finding ways to address this conflict is paramount to the health of a community. Use these tips below for conflict resolution within your communities.
- Respect is a priority. When engaging in conversations that involve controversial topics, make sure to use diplomatic and thoughtful language.
- Separate people and problems. Keep in mind that often, people have valid reasons for having different opinions. If you work on separating people from problems, it is easier to work out issues without damaging relationships.
- Acknowledge different interests. Sometimes it helps to try to understand the "why" behind why someone offers a certain opinion when talking about difficult topics.
- Listen, then talk. It's important to make sure that every person within a group discussion feels heard and knows that their opinions are valued.
- Be open to compromise. To be successful in situations involving conflict, it is imperative to remember that our ideas are not always the best and that there are always many different possible solutions.